Author: Paul Godden – Communications Director, Two Patch Pirates
After an introduction from Chris Chowen, Fusebox Emerging Technologies Coordinator another useful VR Brighton Meetup got underway at the Fusebox. Unfortunately one of the speakers got caught in traffic but Make Real and Future Visual stepped into the breach and shared some of their experiences.
Make Real – http://www.makereal.co.uk/
Sam Watts, Director of Immersive Technologies spoke for Make Real. Interesting to note that 70 percent of Make Real’s work is corporate/commercial and their games development fits into the remaining 30 percent. They undertake to support all VR platforms and Sam was very enthusiastic about the upcoming release of Oculus Quest. Interesting to note that they sought and got finance for the development of Radial-G Racing Revolved.
Sam moved on to discuss Loco Dojo commenting on the fact that they kept Loco Dojo simple by only allowing four players at any one time. It was also interesting to note that a single player mode for this game came late after it became apparent they would not always have sufficient players in the game to support multi-player play. Sam said they aimed to make it work for most people not just gamers and so that is why it can largely be played using a trigger.
Future Visual – https://www.futurevisual.com/
Tim Fleming, founder of Future Visual a Brighton based VR & AR studio then gave us a talk about some of what they do. Discussed their work in Retail, Training and behaviour change. Also discussed sectors such as Marketing (F1) and Aviation.
Tim went on to discuss the very interesting VisionxR collaborative tool. Take a look at the video to see it in action.
Tim also highlighted The Void a whole body, fully immersive VR experience. He was enthusiastic about its potential and considers it has a healthy future. Also highlighted the Ocean of Air Virtual Reality experience at the Saatchi gallery. Interesting stuff.
I believe there was some good networking and VR experiences to be had after the speeches but we had to duck out for a further meeting. Good stuff.